WOW – it has been a long time since I posted on this blog. I’m so sorry for completely abandoning it for two years. I wish I had a legitimate excuse… but honestly, I don’t (‘life hasn’t been all that interesting’ ‘work’ etc etc).
So, uh, hey – this is me. Yes, I’m holding a skateboard (that I tried to learn how to ride for about a week until I fell and hit my head and now I’m too scared to try again). And here’s a little update on my life over the last couple of years!
- Brent (you remember Brent, my boyfriend of almost 9 years, right?) and I moved out of his parents house and began renting a house in August this year. We live in a cute little suburb by the bay and are within a 5 minute walk of a dog beach! We are absolutely loving the location, the house (even with its hideous carpet…), and living on our own. Adulting, for the win!
- Two days ago, I reached my one year milestone with my current job at the airport. Working in a bookstore actually IS awesome (though my wallet would totally disagree there) and I’m really thankful to have a job where I am guaranteed at least a shift a week.
- I have somehow managed to keep up with one of my goals for 2016: post a photo on Instagram every single day for the entire year. Those 12 photos are my most recent posts. I’m up to Day 257 (even though it’s only the 255th day of the year… how did I not realise this until now) of 366. Follow me on Instagram at darceelizabeth if you wanna keep up!
- For Christmas last year, I received Smitten Kitchen’s cookbook as a gift. Because I am a little bit coo-coo, I’ve decided to attempt to cook/bake every single recipe in this book. Here are some of the results over the last few months: chicken milanese with an arugula and fennel salad, asparagus pizza on rushed pizza dough, pistachio masala lamb chops with cucumber mint raita, and olive oil ricotta cake with a (not pictured) concord grape coulis). I’ve still got a long way to go (here’s a spreadsheet I made to easily keep track of my progress because I am a massive nerd) but it’s been really cool to learn all sorts of new methods of cooking. I’m thinking of logging my cooking adventures on this blog which is SUPER lame because I am a terrible food photographer… but we will see.
- I’m still reading (though not as much as last year when I read 52 books, a book every week, during 2015). Here are some of the last books I’ve read (special shout out to The Goldfinch and All The Light We Cannot See – both SO incredible to read).
- Other little things: I brewed my first batch of beer (stout) a few weeks ago. I’ve been really into bullet journaling. Brent and I have a cute little herb garden that we haven’t killed. I’m still volunteering at a rehabilitation centre and helping them with their social media accounts. I got to travel back to the states to see my sister graduate from NYU (also got to see a bunch of my relatives), visit my hometown, and stay in Vegas for a weekend.
I want to get back into blogging again which is why I’m posting this update. Like I mentioned above, I want to document my cooking/baking attempts. I also discovered this Tumblr account of a couple who are traveling to every single town in Iowa and photographing as they go which is really inspiring to me. Victoria, Australia (where I’m currently living) has over 1,000 towns so I think that visiting each may be a little overwhelming… but I’m considering a new goal of trying to visit every national park in the state and using this space to document those adventures as well. Because I really value traveling back to the USA as often as I can to visit my family, I don’t have a lot of extra funds for traveling internationally so I thought that going on weekend or day trips around my state might be a little more affordable and quite fun to get out and explore! I’m not totally committed yet but it’s something I’ve been toying with. We shall see!
I’m sorry, again, for being a terrible blogger and will definitely be back soon with another update. Thanks for sticking with me!