So, uh, hey. Me again. Remember when I thought I was going to actually update this regularly? Ha ha ha.
But hey, new year… new me, right? So here I am! I have a goal this year to actually keep up with this blog, probably in the format of monthly recaps to keep myself from being too ambitious. I’d like to talk about what books I read, what recipes I’ve tried, and what adventures I’ve gone on. So here we go!
- I can’t talk about January without mentioning about how grateful I am to have been in America over the holidays and into the new year (maybe I’ll make another separate post about that trip sometime). Even though the last week of the trip left me feeling weird and down (my childhood cat passed away as Brent and I were flying back to Australia), I’m so thankful that I got to spend so much time with my favorite pooch and kit-cat, my family, and my friends from home.
- If you follow me on Instagram (here’s a link if you don’t), you’ll have already seen my post about this squirrel print that I got Brent for Christmas. Brent loves squirrels (and loves this print) so I’m glad we found a frame for this print and it is now happily hanging in our home.
- The start of the new year rekindled my dream of cooking/baking through every single recipe in my Smitten Kitchen cookbook. This month I made 3 new recipes: Ratatouille Sub, Rosemary Gouda [supposed to be gruyere but I couldn’t find any at our local supermarket] & Sea Salt Crisps, and Peach & Sour Cream Pancakes. All three of these were delicious but if I had to pick a winner… it would be the Ratatouille Sub! I seriously cannot wait until we make that again.
- Books! I read four books this month. I have a ~Dream Goal~ of reading 52 books this year. I say ‘dream’ because I don’t want to stress myself out too much if I don’t read that many. My realistic goal is to read 30! I read the first two books in the Mistborn trilogy. I really liked both of these but I’ve taken a bit of a break before reading the third by reading a self-help book and a psychological thriller for the virtual book club I’m a part of.
- This month, Brent and I were lucky enough to see two shows in the city! And they happened to be two nights in a row! Back in October, I bought us tickets to see Yann Tiersen and oh my gosh, he was spectacular. I don’t know what it is about me seeing musicians-that-I-have-been-obsessed-with-since-high-school live… but, like when we saw Sufjan Stevens last year, I cried throughout the night. Such a sap. Before the performance, we ate dinner at an Italian restaurant in the south wharf promenade where the wine was much better than the food [which was a bummer]. The following night, we saw Cirque du Soleil Kooza! Brent got me tickets for Christmas (that boy knows me so well) and the show was incredible. Forever inspired and in awe of the performers in Cirque!
- Last weekend, Brent and I dusted off our bicycles and went for a ride along the waterfront. It. Was. Incredible. We lucked out with gorgeous views and weather. The riding path was flat (praise hands) and I had such a great time. I’m super excited to go for another ride sometime this week!
- For Christmas, I got a Polaroid camera. What decade are we in again?? So I’m still obsessed with it and I’m trying to take as many photos with it as possible. It’s super cool because it came with a micro-SD slot so I’ve been able to save all of the photos digitally as well! We took this photo during the afternoon of the Serena vs Venus match, after we had been boozing and BBQing outside in the sunshine for hours on end. Very quality photo, am I right? .
So that was my January, in a nutshell! Maybe sometime I will talk on this blog about my weight loss efforts and future travel plans… but I feel like I have already wrote out an entire novel in this post alone.
I hope you all had a fantastic January. Looking forward to seeing what February (my birthday month) brings for us!